Here’s a quick guide on the many ways you can do it.
- Go to any number of bisexual websites that give helpful definitions and FAQs on bisexuality.
- Look on the internet to see what bisexual people have written about how they define their sexuality. It’s quite easy to do.
- Politely ask a bisexual person (if they’re agreeable to being asked) about their definitions of what the term means.
- Do some research into the historical context of the phrase and how it originated.
- Do all of the above.
Here’s a quick guide on the way NOT to do it.
- Look at the “bi”, assume the ‘two’ is referring to a male/female binary, and decide it means that bisexual people can only be attracted to two genders.
- Act like an authority from your few seconds worth of half-caring about what it might mean, and paint bisexual people as transphobic based on this conclusion.
Sadly, it seems like that latter is becoming more and more common, and people don’t seem to realise how biphobic it is.